« Home | In Your hands, there is the treasure of the earth.... » | What I'm listening to this week: Ryan Adams mix, W... » | Ode to Tom Wopat O Tom Wopat You are so that ... » | I want to be consumed by You. In my thoughts, acti... » | I hate sinning, but I love my sin. I hate who I am... » | I hate the print shop. Like with a strong passion.... » | Overwhelming joy or is it a place of pain? ... » | Finished The Life You've Always Wanted. Now I'm di... » | I'm getting ready to start a real in depth study o... » | The sweet smell of You I will contemplate your va... » 

10.07.2002 

I survived the hike this weekend. It was a tough hike though but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. But 15 miles in 2 days with 35 lbs on my skinny, out of shape body was a tough assignment. But I made it. I had a cool little learning experience while I was out there though. Its kind of hard to explain without being there and seeing it. But it was a nice snapshot about wisdom that I got to see. I hiked with 3 guys this weekend. My friend Matt. Jerry, a guy in the church. And Dan, an associate pastor at a church. Dan and Jerry are the real deal hikers. They go alot. I, however, am not. I'm a rookie. My hiking partner for most of the trip was Dan. So for a good portion of the trip, I hiked alongside Dan. Asking him questions about hiking, trees, terrain. His pack was huge. He was carrying all the right equipment. All the food for the trip. Enough water to cook with, to clean with, and for him to drink. Essentially he was caring my provisions. He knew about the terrain and the different things that made it up. He knew the history of the trail. So, I got to walk behind Dan. With his huge pack and his hiking wisdom. Walking behind him, was me. With my puny little pack. No food. Only enough water for me to drink. And no knowledge of the trail or the terrain. I looked so small and ignorant in comparison to Him. And as I was walking behind him, I just got a little glimpse of how it is with me in ministry. I'm only 21 and yet so many times I think I know more or am more practical or that I have achieved all of this wisdom in the 5 years since I've been a Christian. But in reality, I'm an apprentice if you will. Having inadequate gear. Having inadequate provisions. Not understanding the past terrain, not knowing the present terrain, and not wise enough to interpret the future terrain. Like a child, I followed behind someone who has been where I have been. Who was so farther ahead of me in wisdom and knowledge. So for a couple of miles, I just followed behind Dan. Realizing that no matter how much that I thought that I had arrived, I was still just a child searching out for wisdom. Paling in comparison to those who have gone before me. And I realized, I'm 21. I'm not wise. I'm not always right. I don't have the right answers. I don't understand the past, the present, or the future like Dan. I don't know what gear to use in situations. I don't know how to read the terrain or the weather. I don't know as much as I think I do. And it was a humbling experience. But a reflective and meaningful experience. And maybe one day, I'll be walking in Dan's position. Imparting my knowledge, my experience, my wisdom to some "rookie." And maybe that young apprentice will look up at me and have the experience that I had.

About Me

  • I'm Josh
  • From Atlanta, Georgia
Profile
  • The NT & the People of God
  • The Secret Message of Jesus

Powered by Blogger