« Home | My overflow from 7:22 last night. Brushed by th... » | From Relevant Magazine. So true. So true. It ca... » | I was reading Pablo Neruda last night and I wrote ... » | Meditations on Psalm 77 More than a man Less t... » | White on blue on black Stars in the sky on the sk... » | What I'm Reading This Week: Harry Potter and the C... » | An assignment from my Christian Education class. ... » | Dampened by the tide of a Sunday morning love lost... » | Poetry by Pablo Neruda And it was at that time.... » | What I'm Reading This Week: Thirsting for God in a... » 

9.19.2003 

At the beginning of the year I worked out some of what I consider to be my core values. I came up with a few but didn't really develop them. Over the last couple of weeks I finally summarized and put some handles on what I want to be values that shape my life. Here they are: CORE VALUES TRANSPARENT � I want to live my life in such a way that it is an open book to everyone around me. By realizing that everything that I achieve that is good is because of the grace of God and by realizing that everything that I achieve that is bad is because I�ve chosen to walk on my own, I�ll be able to give the proper credit to God for the good, and be able to use the bad as a learning tool for myself and others. In order to be transparent, I will have to be brutally honest with myself and God (who already knows me). And once I�ve moved onward toward repentance, I will have to be brutally honest with those around me, in order that God will get glory both in the good (for Him achieving things through me) and in the bad (for restoring me and using the circumstances to teach myself and others a lesson). verse: I can be proud of my clear conscience. I have always lived honestly and sincerely, especially when I was with you. And I was guided by God�s wonderful kindness. (2 Corinthians 1:12) CONVERSATIONAL � I want to live my life in such a way that I am authentic with those who I engage with, where I enter into meaningful conversations with them. In my conversations I want to be genuine in my actions, pure in my motives, and sincere in my words. I want to be careful that I�m not out to win people to my side, but that I am purposeful in joining those around me on their journey, as they join me on mine. Whether it is a conversation that lasts only a few minutes or a conversation that lasts a lifetime, I want to be in tune with the needs, fears, struggles, hopes, and dreams of those around me. Always realizing that there is a story behind every face, I will be intentional about entering the story of others as they enter mine. I never want to be known as someone who cares only about the surface in order to get a �convert�. I do not want to do something because of anything that I can get out of it, but because I honestly have a desire to help. Being careful not to do anything out of impure intentions, I will do everything that I do because of God�s grace in my life leading me to share that same grace with others through sincere actions and words. I want to talk less and listen more. And when I talk, I want it to be because I�m in tune with the Spirit and it is Him who is talking. And when I listen, I want to do more than just listen with my ears, but I want to hear with my heart. verse: When others are happy, I will be happy with them, and when they are sad, I will be sad. I will be friendly with everyone. Not being proud and feeling that I am smarter than others are. Making friends with ordinary people. (Romans 12:15-16) CONNECTION � I want to live my life in such a way that I serve as a connection point between God and people and between people and people. I want to function as a catalyst that bridges any gaps that people might have that are keeping them from being in friendship with God and fellowship with others. I always want to be in the process of helping people move forward on their journey with God and never want to end up causing someone to wander off the path because of me. Realizing that I�m nothing more than an empty vessel that God has chosen to live through and use as a temporary bridge to introduce people to the real bridge of humanity, the cross of Jesus Christ. Knowing that this wonderful message �that Christ is no longer counting people�s sins against them� was brought to me by someone else, I will consider it an honor that I get the privilege to be a partner with God in sharing that same wonderful message with others. verse: I am Christ�s ambassador, and God is using me to speak to you. (2 Corinthians 5:20) REFLECTION � I want to live my life in such a way that in everything that I do, say, and think, that I bring honor to God in some shape, form, or fashion. Defining worship as anything that makes God smile, I want to gear my whole life around that one end of making Him smile in everything that I do. I do this by realizing that I was created to reflect God�s glory by living out my life for His pleasure. I want to be a small portrait of the divine kingdom in this unfolding story of redemption. At the very core of who I am, at my very essence, I want to live as a reflection of what I was created for and that is someone made in the image of God, for God�s glory. verse: Everything was created by Him, everything in heaven and on earth, everything seen and unseen, including all forces, and powers, and all rulers, and authorities. All things were created by God�s Son, and everything was made for Him. (Colossians 1:16) PURE � I want to live my life in such a way that the highest element of purity is displayed in every area of my life. In everything that I do, which includes my finances, thought life, speech, actions, relationships, etc., I want there to be the utmost level of purity involved. By realizing that my purity is one of the few things that makes it obvious to others my level of character, I want to make sure that I keep a strong distance away from anyone, any circumstance, and any situation that would compromise the validity of my purity. I understand that I�m a man who is prone to surrender to the same temptations that everyone else does. By recognizing this, I will be extra careful to set up the proper defense system that will filter out temptations that seek to compromise my purity. I am fully aware that the success of this value being preserved will directly correlate to the health and intimacy of my marriage, the truth and weight of my speech, and the integrity and motivation of my actions. verse: God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God. (Matthew 5:8) GENEROUS � I want to live my life in such a way that generosity becomes the anthem of my heart. Understanding that everything that I consider �mine� has only been temporarily entrusted to me so that I might reinvest it elsewhere. I will attempt to be a happy steward of all that God has briefly shared with me by sharing it with others. I will not only be generous with my phsyical resources but with all of me, all of myself. If someone needs anything, I will give of myself freely and with a smile. Whether in small things or big things, I will attempt to be found faithful with God�s resources as I funnel them to where God wants. Hopefully this will be evidence that my hope is not here on this Earth but in another place. Realizing that history is rapidly moving to this place, I will place my full trust, perspective, and hope in this place and do so generously. verse: A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. (Proverbs 11:25) VALUER � I want to live my life in such a way that it is apparent to all who are around me that I am someone who values things that deserve to be valued. I will make it a priority to place a high emphasis on those around me and their worth in my eyes and God�s. I will do this by encouraging and supporting the good that is found in those around me. I will also celebrate goodness, truth, and beauty wherever it is found. This may at times force me to cross over some traditional boundaries and views of what society deems �good�. But by orientating myself under the idea that God originally created everything good only to have it fall into decay by sin and that man was created in the image of God, I will attempt to discern what is of value and what is of not through the framework of God�s standard for goodness, truth, and beauty. verse: So let us discern for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good. (Job 34:4)

About Me

  • I'm Josh
  • From Atlanta, Georgia
Profile
  • The NT & the People of God
  • The Secret Message of Jesus

Powered by Blogger