« Home | we the united sheep of america. we will do anythin... » | In my cd player this week: Coldplay, Hives/Strokes... » | The Fusion of Methodology and Theology A Holistic... » | Read this in none other than Leonard Sweet's Soul ... » | God of Grace You are the God of grace Why can'... » | Confident foolishness. Supreme satisfaction. An ov... » | Relationship vs. Religion written in 1999 Whic... » | Another Semester of School Today is the first d... » | Church This would be a pretty cool ad for some ch... » | I have no prayer No offerings No words Only a ... » 

9.09.2002 

Confident Foolishness Confident foolishness. Thinking we know everything, when indeed we know nothing. The profound, mind-numbing, exhaustive depth of the Creator of Earth and his unexplainable and unimaginable glory is not known to us. No, it is not known by us. It is true that we know a god. But it is not the god that IS. Images and ideas have been formed in our minds, with our hands, in our hearts. But they're all cheap plastic. They don't represent the holiness, the glory, the bottomless pit of sheer power. The same which was seen by the three confident ones on the mountaintop, is not seen by us. Peter, James, and John thought they knew God. They thought they had experienced everything. They got to see the miracles. They got to look into the eyes of the one who was above everything. They shared with Him. They ate with Him. And yet . . . they had no clue. On the mountaintop, He was too big. Too much. Unexplainable to the ones who were self-assured in their knowledge of their friend. It was true that they loved Him with their whole heart, and it was true that they He loved them with His whole heart. But they had no clue. Not a hint of the purity and truth of it all. And neither do we. It's a mystery. The mystery of God. To say we understand and know is utter ignorance. We don't have a trace of what it means. Who He is. How full He is. How absolute. We simply run around, with our hands stretched out in a dark room, groping at anything with substance to sustain us. I'm assured of one thing. There is someone out there larger than me, who is above me, who longs for me, and who died for me. Other than that, I don't have the faintest grasp on anything. I wish I did and I think do. But I don't. The book of Job says: "Then Job replied to the Lord: I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. You ask, 'Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?' It is I. And I was talking about things I did not understand, things far too wonderful for me. You said, 'Listen and I will speak! I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.' I had heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance." I don't think God is mad at us though because we don't know. I honestly think he laughs at us. He sees us running around like busy ants. Going in one direction one minute, then darting off in another the next. Passionately seeking after Him one minute, overwhelmed and dejected in another. I think He understands our limited wisdom. Our inferior knowledge. Our diluted understanding. And I think He smiles. He didn't create us to know answers, to understand all there is to know about Him. He created us to commune with Him. To have a friend. To have someone to love and to look forward too. So yeah, I think He laughs at us. We think we know, but we have no idea. We can't even fathom what the Truth really is. Donald McCullough in his book, The Trivialization of God, has a chapter called "In Praise of Agnosticism." In that chapter he writes: "The agnostic, neither denying nor affirming the existence of God, allows for a remote, impersonal cosmic force that is utterly unknowable. Given that stance, the agnostic is spared having to repudiate the puny, pathetic images of God that scar many a Christian heart and conscience." Don't get me wrong. I know God and He knows me. But that may be all I know, and honestly that may be all I need to know. Then again, I could be wrong about all of this. Like I said, I don't have a clue. God be merciful to me, a sinner, a confident fool. Confident of nothing and foolish in everything.

About Me

  • I'm Josh
  • From Atlanta, Georgia
Profile
  • The NT & the People of God
  • The Secret Message of Jesus

Powered by Blogger