« Home | There's a nasty rumor going around that I tend to ... » | PART ONE (random thoughts and ideas from Monday ni... » | Well I'm back from Yale. And I can't lie. It w... » | From Volf's chapter Oppression and Justice (discus... » | Questions arising out of a conversation with respe... » | a new post over at the phoenix project » | » | I found these over at my friend Casey's site (also... » | New post over at the Phoenix Project. » | A series of journal entries by a good guy on a vis... » 

2.15.2006 

PART TWO (random thoughts and ideas from Tuesday morning's session) Make sure you read the last statement at the bottom. I think it is one worth considering and possibly one of the more influential things in shaping my theology. Again, I'm sure there are questions, and I'll be more than happy to answer them. God gives through relationships and not by just �dropping down� things to us. Through the �means� and not just a �mean�. On the road to the cross. The narrative of redemption. This frames our �judgments� of others. Not just words, but actions. There is enough ferment between Muslims and Christians to make the relationship strained. Because in most contexts, both Christians and Muslims, are the poorest of the poor and because of the unrest. Muslims DO have a radical otherness as it relates to our relationship between God and humanity, which is much different than the Christian approach of having God as a best friend/Santa Claus. There approach to Allah is one of �holiness� and �fear� which frames their relationship between their god. A hermeneutic of charity. In the plurality of truth, how do you make ethical decisions and ethical actions? Stance of humility. We have to act. We have to make decisions. We act as informed by the best reasoning we have. It is problematic when we assume we possess all of truth. The problem is we quit to be seekers of truth. Seeking always has with it humility. Where does the confidence come from? Or is there any? We are not absolute therefore we can only know in limited ways. Reflection mode and action mode. This is how I live because I think this it is the right way to live. Wager things for the truth. Yet in reflective mode, realizing that you can�t fully know. I am a Christian not because of what I hold but because I�m held. So I only know as I exist in God. You don�t have to believe in it intellectually. Or do you? You have to feel like you�re taken by the story. So it�s more pointing to something larger than yourself. A function of witness rather than a function of an expert guru. It�s not our advice. But the telling of a story. Sermon is a proclamation and a testament. As a communicator you point to the story and to the resources of the story. The proclamation is a proclamation of the gospel story. After the cross there is no retribution.

can you explain the last comment some?

At least how I am taken it, and "musing" on it . . . is that in the cross of Christ, something new happened in the way God relates to humanity. And how correspondingly, humanity should relate to humanity. That on the cross Christ absorbed violence and retribution, and how his voluntary action has set a pattern of voluntary action on our parts. To enter into the way of peace. God now desires to relate to humanity on terms of peace and not of war. Terms of justice and not judgement. Obviously this recasts a few things in a different light, i.e. hell, the Book of the Revelation, judgement. I'm not saying I'm there, nor agree with the statement. However, I've begun to think about the possibility of such a theory of the cross. This is not to say that there is no justice. But justice defined by Jesus and the Jewish tradition, is much different than our view of justice which is usually associated with retribution by means of violence. Where we view God as an angry old man with a shotgun. Instead of a suffering servant who enter into humanity to die "in our place" on the cross as a way of absorbing God's past, present, and future wrath. I think we tend to think of the cross dealing with God's past wrath. But I think there at least exists the possibility that on the cross, the present and future were dealt with as well.

Post a Comment

About Me

  • I'm Josh
  • From Atlanta, Georgia
Profile
  • The NT & the People of God
  • The Secret Message of Jesus

Powered by Blogger