« Home | Lyrics from Evanescence's song Taking Over Me. ... » | We are so easy to say that our world and our commu... » | Oh the beauty and stupidity of innocence. » | What I'm Reading This Week: Leviticus, Emerging Ch... » | Once again here is another great article from Past... » | I got Ben Harper's new cd today, Diamonds On The I... » | The gospel is the embodiment of grace in a lifesty... » | What I'm Reading This Week: Leviticus What I'm ... » | I'm more afraid of living, Than I am to die. I'm... » | I just got asked, "Why don't you smile anymore Josh?" » 

3.17.2003 

Here's a nice little insight from one of my friends at the Emergent Village. Scoatch wrote, "Perhaps we should rethink the definition of theology. When we think of theology as the study of God it places us within a scientific paradigm that for many is problematic." Yes, theology is not purely theoretical reflection on God which reaches timeless absolutes. Theology is not a science and Scripture in not an encyclopedia of propositions. Theology is not a timeless statement, but a timeful interpretation. What if we think of theology as discourse about God. I like this b/c it acknowledges that there is a conversation taking place (implicitly between persons). and alot more could be said about these persons, for we shouldn't just ask "what is theology", as if it really were something (a noun), but "WHO theologized (a verb), why that person theologizes, and with what resource (nature, scripture, human experience)?" or "How has God the person(s) spoken and do people respond?" So, my definition of theology is that it is "dramatic" in nature. Many times we talk about the "story" or "narrative" of God, which is great. but drama really is a better term b/c we are not just reading a story from a book, but are actors/actresse in the drama of redemption, and God is the principle Actor (and director- but that gets us into the whole sovreignty thing). The product of theology is not to say right (True) things about God, but is rather a type of "script" so that we can act rightly (wisely). I like this because it does not separate theology from ethics, as if once our theoretical work is done, only then can we be practical. Wisdom is the goal, not knowledge. I don't want to master God thru theology, but to live in wisdom.

About Me

  • I'm Josh
  • From Atlanta, Georgia
Profile
  • The NT & the People of God
  • The Secret Message of Jesus

Powered by Blogger