« Home | What I'm Listening To This Week: Delirious, Counti... » | She's dead. The Pink Princess is no longer. I'll b... » | What I'm Reading: Every Man's Battle - Stephen Art... » | I'm blind, I want to see. I'm calloused, I want t... » | A Jesuit Prayer In the silence of my innermost ... » | Below is a small exceprt from an interview with Le... » | I've got so much to be thankful. I really struggle... » | What I'm Reading This Week: Romans by John Stott, ... » | What I'm Listening To Now: The Early November, The... » | The moon hangs like the blade of an axe tonight, a... » 

1.19.2003 

I've been inspired lately to write down what I'd like to be my "core values" in life. These aren't New Year's resolutions, but I'm going to attempt to gear my life around these 5 concepts this year. Transparent � I want to live my life in such a way that it is an open book to everyone around me. By realizing that everything that I achieve that is good is because of the grace of God and by realizing that everything that I achieve that is bad is because I�ve walked away on my own, I�ll be able to give the proper credit to God for the good, and be a learning tool for myself and others for the bad. In order to be transparent, I will have to be brutally honest with myself and God (who already knows). And once I�ve moved onward toward repentance, I will have to be brutally honest with those around me, in order that God will get glory both in the good (for Him achieving things through me) and in the bad (for restoring me and using the circumstances to teach myself and others a lesson). I can be proud of my clear conscience. I have always lived honestly and sincerely, especially when I was with you. And I was guided by God's wonderful kindness. (2 Corinthians 1:12) Authentic � I want to live my life in such a way that I am authentic with those who I engage with. I want to be genuine in my actions, pure in my motives, and sincere in my words. I do not want to do anything because of anything that I can get out of it, but because I honestly want to help. Being careful not to do anything out of impure intentions, I will do everything that I do because of God�s grace in my life leading me to share that same grace with others through actions and words. When others are happy, I will be happy with them, and when they are sad, I will be sad. I will be friendly with everyone. Not being proud and feeling that I am smarter than others. Making friends with ordinary people. (Romans 12:15-16) Conversational� I want to live my life in such a way that I enter into meaningful conversations with those around me as Paul did in Acts 17. I want to be careful that I�m not out to �win� people to my side, but am purposeful in joining them on their journey as they join me on my mine. Whether it be a conversation that lasts only a few minutes or a conversation that lasts a life time, I want to be in tune with their needs, fears, struggles, hopes, and dreams. I never want to be known as someone who cares only about the surface in order to get a �convert�. I want to talk less and listen more. And when I talk, I want it to be because I�m in tune with the Spirit and it is Him who is talking. And when listen, I want to do more than just listen with my ears, but I want to hear with my heart. Connection � I want to live my life in such a way that I serve as a connection point between God and people and between people and people. I want to function as a catalyst that bridges any gaps that people might have that are keeping them from being in friendship with God and fellowship with others. Realizing that I�m nothing more than a body that God has chosen to live through and use as a temporary bridge to introduce people to the real bridge of humanity, the cross of Jesus Christ. Knowing that this wonderful message �that Christ is no longer counting people�s sins against them� (2 Corinthians 5:19) was brought to me by someone else, I will consider it an honor that I get the privilege to now share that same wonderful message with others. Reflection � I want to live my life in such a way that in everything that I do, say, and think, that I will bring honor to God in some shape, form, or fashion. Defining worship as anything that makes God smile, I want to gear my whole life around that one end of making God smile. I do this by realizing that I was created to reflect God�s glory by living out my life for His pleasure. As Colossians 1:16 says, �Everything was created by Him, everything in heaven and on earth, everything seen and unseen, including all forces, and powers, and all rulers, and authorities. All things were created by God�s Son, and everything was made for Him.� At the very core of who I am, at my very essence, I want to live as a reflection of what I was created for. �Lord help me do great things as though they were little, since I do them in Your power; and little things as though they were great, since I do them in Your name.� � Blaise Pascal

About Me

  • I'm Josh
  • From Atlanta, Georgia
Profile
  • The NT & the People of God
  • The Secret Message of Jesus

Powered by Blogger